The way to assign contacts to a persona depends on your HubSpot service package. For example, there is more manual work involved with Free or Starter packages.
Personas are a must for us at BBD Boom with regards to segmenting your data. By segmenting your data this way, it can be more powerful than you think. It means you can then send targeted marketing emails to each of your personas, giving them a more personalised experience with your brand. You can then use this to create smart content if you wanted to go that one step further. But how do you assign your contacts to your personas?
It depends on how you have set your personas out and how you want to assign your contacts. We would recommend that you add a required question to each and every form, asking ‘what best describes you?’. This way, you can then use a workflow (For Professional and Enterprise only) to automate that association.
You would set the workflow up to say IF the contact chose ‘option 1’ then assign ‘persona 1’. If the contact chose ‘option 2’, then assign ‘Persona 2’ etc.. If you’re going to use this method, follow the instructions below:
- Start off by adding the persona based question to all of your forms. This question can be any question you like, we recommend ‘What best describes you/ your role?’.
- Afterwards, create a contact based workflow with the enrollment: Persona is unknown and has filled in 1 form.
- Next, use If/Then branches to map the answers to the question with a persona.
However, for those of you who have Free or Starter packages, you’re not forgotten. There is a way around this, but it does require some manual work. Annoying I know, but follow the instructions below to create the best, most simple process to follow:
- Locate to your contacts
- Select the contacts that you want to assign. You can choose how you want to segment your contacts, whether that’s using email marketing and web analytic data or something else.
- Click on Edit and then choose Persona and the persona you want to assign to the selected contacts.